Annual Poetry Contest
Deadline: October 15th, 2013
Judge: Rachel Eliza Griffiths
Awards: First place is $1,000 and publication, up to ten finalists will be announced, and all poems will be considered for publication as a general submission.
Submission Fee: $17
Submit: Contest closed. See you next year!
- Submit three to five unpublished poems.
- All poems must be submitted online via our submission manager and be contained in a single document.
- The author’s name should not appear in the document (.doc or .docx).
- A non-refundable $17 fee must accompany your submission.
- Students (past and present), relatives, and close friends of the judge are ineligible.
- Simultaneous submissions are not permitted, and no submission may be modified after entry. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in disqualification.
The contest deadline is October 15th, 2013, 12 a.m., Central daylight time.
The winner will be announced in December in Hothouse Magazine.
All poems submitted to the contest will be considered for publication in Newfound Journal.
Due to the number of submissions, we cannot respond to each writer individually. Each author will receive an acknowledgement of receipt but will need to check the website for notification of the winner.
Poet and visual artist, Rachel Eliza Griffiths, will judge the finalists.
Rachel Eliza Griffiths is the author of “Miracle Arrhythmia” (Willow Books), “The Requited Distance” (Sheep Meadow Press), and “Mule & Pear” (New Issues Poetry & Prose), which was selected for the 2012 Inaugural Poetry Award by the Black Caucus of the American Library Association. Griffiths is the recipient of fellowships from the Millay Colony, Provincetown Fine Arts Work Center, Vermont Studio Center, and Cave Canem Foundation. Her literary and visual work has appeared widely. Currently, Griffiths teaches creative writing at Sarah Lawrence College.
Panel of Readers:
Our panel of readers will shortlist the contest: Shiloh Booker, Andi Boyd, O. Chandler Crook, Joanna I. Kaminski, and Caitlin McCrory.