Why Is Newfound Important?
Our mission is to foster greater awareness of our environment through the arts, events, and cultural inquiry. We believe that a richer experience of place—spaces human-made, natural, conceptual, or otherwise—is essential in understanding ourselves and our world. Newfound is passionate about positively transforming how we relate to our habitats and bringing about better stewardship of our homes, neighborhoods, communities, cities, nations, and the globalized world at large.
Newfound is going nonprofit. To carry forth our mission fully, we’ll need to operate as a legal entity, which is why we are seeking 501(c)(3) nonprofit status. Why go for nonprofit? We see Newfound as a service project, a particularly critical one in these times of energy wars, battles over land rights, and the ever-present desire to find identity in an ever-changing world.
Newfound Journal, originally called Precipitate, was founded by Gwynne Middleton and Eric Stottlemyer in 2009. As graduate students in Literature and Environmental Studies respectively, their original impulse was both personal and political: to combine their expertise and start a discourse on place-based writing, art, and environmental activism. As an arts and culture journal, Precipitate aspired to innovate approaches to place by showcasing the work of emerging writers, artists, and cultural critics.
In September 2012, we took our first steps to becoming more than an arts journal. We endured a Madonna-esque makeover as Newfound with a total design overhaul. In only a few short months, Newfound Journal has greatly increased its readership with a cross-platform circulation of over 71,000 in over 36 countries. We’ve welcomed such talented writers and artists as Nick Flynn, S. C. Gwynne, Michael Kimball, Heather Christle, Amelia Gray, and Uta Barth. We’ve also laid the foundation for Hothouse Magazine, a space for inquiry into current, cultural, and critical issues regarding place, both in the domestic and private sense and the public and political sense of the word.
As a publisher, we pride ourselves on our values. We’ve consciously supported new, emerging, and underrepresented voices. Welcoming all angles—from traditional to experimental, realism to surrealism—our guiding principle has remained to select work of quality and vision that proudly represents us. In our pages, we’ve also celebrated countless established and award-winning writers and artists whose work exemplifies our mission.
What Your Donation Can Help Us Do
- Make a Difference: Allow us to grow from a single project to an organization that can measure its short-term and long-term effects in begetting understanding, respect, and action regarding place.
- Events!: Our staff has years of event coordination experience behind us and aim to host a variety of literary and visual art events, including but not limited to readings, book signings, art shows, writing workshops, seminars, and community programs that promote exploring the world through the arts while supporting artists and arts communities.
- Run a Small Press: We plan to soon publish print books and e-books, specializing in unique and experimental poetry and prose.
- Go Print: We hope to publish an annual print issue.
- Achieve Sustainability: Allow us to continue to publish Newfound Journal and Hothouse Magazine by aiding with the current administrative, production, and publishing costs.
- Increase Readership: Help us to reach a more robust international audience.
Is My Donation Tax Deductible?
Newfound is a Texas nonprofit corporation with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status pending. When the IRS grants tax-exempt status, we will contact all donors, letting you know that your donation to Newfound is tax-exempt to the full extent of the law.
How Do I Make My Donation?
Select your contribution level in the column to the right. You will then be directed to our secure, fully PCI compliant online payment system where you may select your specific amount of donation.